Did not tell us it was a smoking room before paying: cheap move by Hotels.com. If we had known, we wouldn’t have booked it. Also cannot cancel after booking. In the end, we had to pay extra to upgrade to top floor.
Other than that, the hotel is great, with a stunning view. There are a few minor criticisms though
1) a long walk to the elevator, and you have to climb stairs before and after accessing it: sort of defeats the purpose of an elevator. Inconvenient for heavy luggage travelers.
2) free WiFi in the lobby only
3) TV a bit small and is placed at an awkward angle(in the corner).
4) the dude’s onsen is great, but she said the chick’s onsen is super small.
5) the train between wakayama and Wakayama-Shi is infrequent, even though it’s a short ride. We still need to transfer to nankai train to get to Kado, before getting a free ride to the hotel : so it isn’t all that convenient.