Visiting Salt Lake City
Families will find kid-friendly activities in Salt Lake City, and visitors give high marks for the lakeside setting, temples, and popular theater scene. This city also attracts tourists with its live music, ski areas, and bars. Top sights in the city include Temple Square, Salt Lake Temple, and Tabernacle.
- There are 447 hotels and other accommodations in Salt Lake City
- The closest major airport is in Salt Lake City, UT (SLC-Salt Lake City Intl.), 5 mi (8 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Provo, UT (PVU), 38.8 mi (62.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Salt Lake City
The city is well known for its theaters and live music, and cultural venues include Clark Planetarium, Capitol Theater, and Eccles Theater. Families come for attractions such as Discovery Gateway Children's Museum, FastKart Indoor Speedway, and Utah State Fairpark. The city is notable for its temples and landmarks like Temple Square, Salt Lake Temple, and Tabernacle.
In Salt Lake City, you'll find 447 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have plenty of choices for your holiday retreat. Here are top ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- DeSoto Tudor on Capitol Hill - Located in Downtown Salt Lake City, this 4-star vacation home features a private spa tub, free WiFi, and a patio. Expedia travelers love its breakfast and helpful staff.
- Hampton Inn Salt Lake City Cottonwood UT - Our customers like the quiet location and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. This 2.5-star hotel features free breakfast, an indoor pool, and free WiFi.
- The Grand America Hotel - Guests who stay at this 5-star hotel in Downtown Salt Lake City can enjoy access to a full-service spa and a restaurant, along with free WiFi. Expedia customers like its family-friendly amenities and pool.
Other favorite sights in Salt Lake City include The Gateway, Utah State Capitol, and Alta Ski Area. Popular places to see in the area include Lagoon Amusement Park, 15.3 mi/24.6 km from the heart of the city, and Park City Mountain Resort, which is 21.5 mi (34.7 km) away.
Getting Around Salt Lake City
With so many ways to get around, seeing all of Salt Lake City is easy. Nearby metro stations include Gallivan Plaza Station, City Center Station, and Temple Square Station. If you want to journey outside of the area, hop aboard a train from Guadalupe Station, Salt Lake Central Station, or Murray Central Station.
Dressing for Salt Lake City
- Between January and March, daytime temperatures average 58°F, while nighttime temperatures stay around 22°F
- From April to June, the average is 89°F during the day and 37°F at night
- July through September sees average temperatures of 94°F during the day and 47°F at night
- In October-December, you can expect 72°F as the daytime average and 22°F as the nighttime average
- Average annual rainfall for Salt Lake City is 16.18 inches
- July and August are usually the hottest months averaging 91°F, while December and January are usually the coldest with an average temperature of 23°F