Travelers to Portland give high marks for the riverfront, popular theater scene, and beautiful gardens. This city also attracts tourists with its shopping, live music, and art. Top sights in the city include Moda Center, Pioneer Courthouse Square, and Tom McCall Waterfront Park.
- There are 611 hotels and other accommodations in Portland
- The closest major airport is in Portland, OR (PDX-Portland Intl.), 6.7 mi (10.7 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Salem, OR (SLE-McNary Field), 45 mi (72.5 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Portland
Known for its theaters, live music, and art, the city's cultural venues include Oregon Museum of Science and Industry, End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, and Portland Center for the Performing Arts. Notable city landmarks like Pioneer Courthouse Square and Grotto might be worth a visit. The riverfront and gardens highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Tom McCall Waterfront Park, Portland Japanese Garden, and Simon and Helen Director Park.
In Portland, there are 611 hotels and other lodging accommodations so you'll have a variety of choices for your holiday getaway. Here you'll find highly ranked ones based on Expedia user reviews:
- Tiny Digs - Amenities at this 3-star hotel include free parking and an in-room kitchenette. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its beach locale and comfortable beds.
- Hampton Inn and Suites by Hilton Portland-Pearl District - Our customers like the overall condition and clean, comfortable rooms at this hotel. Guests who stay at this 2.5-star hotel in Pearl District can enjoy access to free breakfast and a restaurant, along with free WiFi.
- Canopy by Hilton Portland Pearl District - This 4-star hotel in Pearl District features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi. Expedia customers like its breakfast and helpful staff.
Other favorite sights in Portland include Moda Center, Providence Park, and Veterans Memorial Coliseum.
Getting Around Portland
With so many choices for transportation, exploring all of Portland is easy. You can walk to nearby metro stations including SW 6th-Madison Street Station, City Hall-SW 5th and Jefferson Street Station, and Pioneer Square South Station. If you want to see more of the area, hop aboard a train from Portland Union Station, Beaverton Hall-Nimbus Station, or Tigard Transit Center Station.
Dressing for Portland
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 58°F during the day and 32°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 75°F, while the average at night is 39°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 80°F with nighttime averages of 44°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 70°F and nighttime averages of 31°F
- About 41.65 inches of rain falls on Portland each year
- Usually August and July are the hottest months with an average of 78°F, whereas December and January are often coldest, averaging 33°F