Visiting Santa Barbara
History buffs will enjoy exploring Santa Barbara, and visitors give high marks for the beaches, array of wineries, and shopping. This walkable city also attracts tourists with its restaurants and cafés. Top sights in the city include Presidio Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara County Courthouse, and Mission Santa Barbara.
- There are 356 hotels and other accommodations in Santa Barbara
- The closest major airport is in Santa Barbara, CA (SBA-Santa Barbara Municipal), 7.8 mi (12.6 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Santa Ynez, CA (SQA), 25 mi (40.3 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Santa Barbara
The city's cultural venues include Santa Barbara Museum of Art and Santa Barbara Natural History Museum. The city is notable for its historic sites and landmarks like Presidio Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara County Courthouse, and Mission Santa Barbara. The beaches and sunsets highlight the city's natural beauty with places to visit including Santa Barbara Botanical Garden, Lotusland, and El Presidio de Santa Barbara State Historic Park.
In Santa Barbara, there are 356 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have plenty of choices for a perfect vacation. These are highly ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Spanish Garden Inn - This 4-star hotel in Santa Barbara Urban Wine Trail features free breakfast, an outdoor pool, and free WiFi. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its proximity to shopping and comfortable rooms.
- Simpson House Inn - Our customers like the breakfast and central location at this B&B. This 5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking.
- Caravan Outpost - Amenities in this 2-star accommodation include a kitchenette and free WiFi. Expedia customers love its dining options and quiet location.
Other top sights in Santa Barbara include Santa Barbara Zoo. In the surrounding area, top places to visit include Mission San Buenaventura, located 24.8 mi (40 km) from the city center, and Ventura Pier, which is 25.3 mi/40.8 km away.
Getting Around Santa Barbara
If you'd like to explore more of the area, hop aboard a train from Santa Barbara Station, Goleta Station, or Carpinteria Station. Santa Barbara might not have very many public transit options so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for Santa Barbara
- Between January and March, you can expect average temperatures of 66°F during the day and 40°F at night
- From April to June, the average during the day is 72°F, while the average at night is 46°F
- July through September has daytime averages of 75°F with nighttime averages of 54°F
- In October-December, you can expect daytime averages of 73°F and nighttime averages of 40°F
- Average annual rainfall for Santa Barbara is 17.09 inches
- Usually September and August are the hottest months with an average of 74°F, whereas January and December are often coldest, averaging 41°F