Nature enthusiasts will enjoy exploring Monterey, and visitors give high marks for the must-see aquarium, seaside, and seafood restaurants. This scenic city also attracts tourists with its golf courses. Top sights in the city include Fisherman's Wharf, Monterey Bay Aquarium, and Maritime Museum.
- There are 440 hotels and other accommodations in Monterey
- The closest major airport is in Monterey, CA (MRY-Monterey Peninsula), 2.6 mi (4.2 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Salinas, CA (SNS-Salinas Municipal), 16.1 mi (26 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in Monterey
Attractions like Monterey Bay Aquarium, Dennis the Menace Park, and Monterey County Youth Museum are fun for kids of all ages. The city is notable for landmarks like Point Pinos Lighthouse, Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca, and Bixby Bridge. The city's natural setting is picturesque, including the seaside and these places to visit: Carmel Beach, Lone Cypress Pine, and Point Lobos State Reserve.
In Monterey, you'll find 440 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for a perfect vacation. Here you'll find top ones based on our user reviews:
- Bernardus Lodge & Spa - This 4.5-star resort features a full-service spa, a restaurant, and an outdoor pool. It's a favorite with Expedia travelers for its bar and overall value.
- Tally Ho Inn - Our customers like the helpful staff and clean, quiet rooms at this B&B. This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, a restaurant, and free WiFi.
- Andril Fireplace Cottages - This 2.5-star motel features free WiFi, free parking, and a spa tub. Expedia customers like its beach locale and helpful staff.
Other favorite sights in Monterey include Fisherman's Wharf, Maritime Museum, and Pebble Beach Golf Links. Outside the city, popular places to see include Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk, located 26 mi (41.8 km) from the city center, and Mystery Spot, which is 29.3 mi (47.2 km) away.
Getting Around Monterey
With so many transportation options, exploring all of Monterey is a breeze. If you want to explore the larger area, ride aboard one of the trains from Salinas Station. You can explore water transportation options at the local marina.
Dressing for Monterey
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 61°F and the nighttime average to be 43°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 66°F during the day and 46°F at night
- July through September averages 70°F during the day and 51°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 69°F during the day and 43°F at night
- About 20.47 inches of rain falls on Monterey each year
- Hottest months are usually September and October with an average temperature of 69°F, while the coldest months are December and January with an average of 44°F