Visiting New Haven
Families will find kid-friendly activities in New Haven, and visitors give high marks for the college vibe. This city also attracts tourists with its art, theaters, and museums. Top sights in the city include Yale Bowl and East Rock Park.
- There are 122 hotels and other accommodations in New Haven
- The closest major airport is in New Haven, CT (HVN-Tweed - New Haven Regional), 3.5 mi (5.7 km) from the city center
- The next closest is in Bridgeport, CT (BDR-Igor I. Sikorsky Memorial), 14.7 mi (23.6 km) away
Sightseeing and Staying in New Haven
Known for its art, theaters, and museums, the city's cultural venues include Yale University Art Gallery, Yale Center for British Art, and Yale Repertory Theater. The city is notable for landmarks like Center Church on the Green, Trinity Church on the Green, and Hyland House Museum. University life is a highlight in the city and campuses to tour include Yale University and Albertus Magnus College.
In New Haven, you'll be able to select from 122 hotels and other lodging options so you'll have ample places to choose from for your holiday getaway. Below are top ranked ones based on our user reviews:
- Captain Josiah Cowles Place - This 3-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and a library.
- Austin Street Inn - Our customers like the comfortable beds and location at this B&B. This 3.5-star bed & breakfast features free breakfast, free WiFi, and free parking.
- The Wallingford Victorian Inn - With a stay at this 4-star bed & breakfast, guests can enjoy access to free breakfast and free parking, along with an in-room fireplace. Expedia customers like its breakfast and comfortable beds.
Other top sights in New Haven include Yale Bowl and East Rock Park. A top sight in the surrounding area is Lake Compounce, located 22.9 mi (36.8 km) from the center of the city.
Getting Around New Haven
If you want to journey outside of the city, hop aboard a train from New Haven Union Station, Wallingford Station, or Guilford Station. New Haven may not have many public transit options to choose from so consider renting a car to explore more.
Dressing for New Haven
- Between January and March, you can expect the daytime average to be around 52°F and the nighttime average to be 22°F
- From April to June, temperatures average about 81°F during the day and 36°F at night
- July through September averages 83°F during the day and 51°F at night
- In October-December, the average temperature is 69°F during the day and 24°F at night
- New Haven gets about 47.13 inches of rain per year
- Hottest months are usually July and August with an average temperature of 81°F, while the coldest months are January and February with an average of 24°F